As a boudoir photographer, I often get asked — sometimes not so kindly but mostly out of curiosity — “Hey! Why the heck do you charge so much for taking pictures?” It’s a fair question, really, and we all have similar thoughts any time we’re about to spend a decent chunk of change on anything. I figured I’d take the time to explain why I charge what I do and what goes into the total cost.
- The images taken are sensitive. You want to entrust someone who is not only completely professional and makes you feel 100% comfortable in this intimate setting, but who you know will handle your images with the utmost care during the editing and storing process.
- It took time to learn this art. The cost of my sessions isn’t just for the time we’re spending together; you’re paying for all the years of experience that got me to where I am today. You’re getting images that reflect years’ worth of experience.
- In some cases, the cost includes a small team of people who help make you look and feel beautiful the day of the shoot. This isn’t cheap, but it’s a service I like to provide!
- In some cases, we’re shooting in a location that costs money to rent. This is included in part of the cost.
- Photography equipment is not cheap, my friend. I’ll spare you all the numbers, but my arsenal cost hovers in the five-figure range.
- There’s a lot of behind-the-scenes work you may not realize is happening. I spend time scouting locations, researching the latest photography techniques, looking through images from your shoot to select the best one, and editing each one. The time I spend doing these things far surpasses our time at the actual shoot, but it ensures an excellent finished product.